I just ordered a couple M Bari, one regular and one *. For me, the Legere Signature was the closest to my style of sound I was trying to achieve. I do not intend to risk such a high price for another to find out. This section really only “scratches the surface” (so to speak). For me, the Legere Signature was the closest to my style of sound I was trying to achieve. Fast tonguing is nearly impossible because of the intensity / pressure required for every attack. This is European cut and a little stiff. I usually play legere european signature, so i am deeply in syntethic reeds. Reply. It would be better if the hey had the US cut version, Reviewed in the United States on December 25, 2016. They deliver consistency, durability and … The tone in my Loree was dark and mellow yet projected beautifully. Keep in mind that I am likely a little more selective than most when is comes to picking cane and regrinding knives which gives me a slightly higher material cost than most reed makers, but with my reed production cost coming out to about $24, the Legere Reed would only need a life expectancy of around 5 cane reeds in order to justify its $120 price point. I actually love the tone quality the reed produces and I'd be hard-pressed to distinguish it off-the-fly with one of my own cate reeds. The Forestones too muffled. The basic issues with the legere reeds are the adjustment from cane and getting used to a reed that has very defined playing requirements. The halves are then bonded together again using a digitally controlled system resulting in a reed which is balanced in both blades, and has … I tried Fibracell, Forestone, Bari, Fiberreed, Plasticovers and Legere. Timbre of this reed is darker than the cane reeds I usually play. As to cost, hasn't almost everything got more expensive? In contrast, the price of housing has skyrocketed and I find it despicable that it takes so much to put a roof over your head! I'm glad my house is paid off and that I grew up in an era where a young person could actually afford to rent an apartment without having a super high-paying job (those days are over). I scraped it into an American reed, and it plays quite well (surprisingly similar to my cane reeds, after my carving). If you guys haven't tried Fibracell, you don't know what you are missing. All of our products are price checked against our competitors on a regular basis to ensure that we are giving you the best price possible. Legere warns American players that this reed may be more "resistant" than an American scrape reed. Reviewed in the United States on August 28, 2016. I've tried the standard Legeres (too stuffy and slow-responding) and the Studio Cuts (too bright and buzzy) as well, and I ultimately found both unsuitable for a long-term commitment. Our topics here are: Minimum Tools, Reed Selection, The Breaking-in Process, Vamp and Tip Adjustment, Warps, Weather, and Continuing Adjustment. A forum community dedicated to saxophone players and enthusiasts bought to you by Harri Rautiainen. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. The 2.25 is a perfect fit for me right now. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. The reed sounded just like my cane reeds only more stable and consistent in pitch. The Fibracells were too shrill. I've never clipped my reeds; when they get too soft I use them for practice for a while then toss them. A person who plays clarinet is known as Clarinettist. I wasn’t expecting to pay over $100 to have to tape it up from the bottom to the top because the entire side of the reed leaked. This reed has a generically good sound but it is quite limiting in terms of pitch and flexibility. The clarinet is a type of woodwind musical instrument which its mouthpiece consists of a single reed, a cylindrical tube, and a flared bell. When I needed a reed that I could trust would hit the note in tune first try I used it. If you find a lower price from a retailer in the UK on a product that isn't on special offer, we'll match their price & then take an extra £2.50 off the price. Reviewed in the United States on July 14, 2016. That's where beginners should rely on their private teachers to help adjust those reeds. I spent a lot of money on these things. US. Legere oboe reed review update. Needed to use the Double Reed Geek to adjust the reed. Legere warns American players that this reed may be more "resistant" than an American scrape reed. I ordered this specifically for my custom European oboe made by Guy Dupin. Hello Ms. Neal, Thank you so much for choosing REEDS … They are usually not “ready to go” right out of the box. I have also heard from some colleagues around the world about their experiences with the synthetic oboe reeds. Compared to gas and other vehicle expenses to get to rehearsals for example. Waiting For The American Scrape Legere Reed, Reviewed in the United States on January 31, 2018. I highly prefer my own reeds over it, but it is always nice to have in case of an emergency. "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." Don't worry about that. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Reviewed in the United States on September 20, 2017. Benz reeds...really??.. Please see my post “Legere oboe reed review” if you are new to the topic, or how I initially evaluated the reed. Share. The clarinet is made up of wood, plastic, rubber, metal, ivory and resin materials whereas the mouthpieces are made up of rubber and sometimes plastic. When playing the clarinet with a hard reed, it is harder to adjust the pitch, although altissimo notes are easier to reach. Like KeithL has said adjusting for inflation they are actually the same if not less. If I was a recording artist or some big name that got reeds supplied for me I could see just going through boxes of reeds and selecting only the best ones but that is not my situation. Quick delivery Useful. Shop and save on our amazing selection of Legere Reeds instruments & accessories at The Woodwind & Brasswind. The Fiberreeds were also pretty good. About 3 years ago I decided to dive into synthetic reeds. 4,0 reed felt slightly harder than legere's 4,0 so i sent back the 4,0+ reeds … The woodwind reed is a small, thin component that vibrates when air passes by, thus generating sound waves. Too bad the Sigs also cost 50 percent more than the other models. A hard reed, on the other hand, will provide sounds that are fuller, heavier, and thicker. will report back. Aren't they just cheap bits of molded plastic? Hard to make dynamic changes. It's just that gas is sort of an invisible expense to me, I just pay it, whereas reeds I mentally put on a balance sheet of music-related expenses vs. music-related income. All of the hassle is GONE. It would be better if the hey had the US cut version. - John Coltrane. Single reeds and double reeds work with similar processes. But that changed when I discovered the Signature range, which are usable and sound great too. However, I would ask Legere the question.. 3) Why are Légère reeds so expensive? I started with a 2.75 and it was too hard. Legere reeds come as-is. After all these years, I think maybe I should start clipping, especially if it will bring a great reed back to life. I tried Fibracell, Forestone, Bari, Fiberreed, Plasticovers and Legere. While most plastic reeds are still terrible, there is a new player in town. I kept scraping it to try to smooth it out, but the more I … I wetted and played in them according to the instructions. This reed is somewhere between medium and hard. Also I tried to adjust my Legere AC with a reed knife, the same way I have taken a little off the heart of my Legere Signature reeds from time to time and after just a little bit of trying to shave a tiny bit off, I destroyed the reed. I used a Legere reed exclusively for the 2014-2015 concert season. Not a beginner - 7 year player - but I like a good medium to medium hard reed. To my ears they were a bit bright.However, with the new Signature Series reeds I think they have cracked it! In general, the Legere played surprisingly well throughout the range of the horn. I have to admit the increase in reed prices don't really bother me. I am a born and bred British oboist who has always played using European scrape. It is NOT recommended to make adjustments to the Legere reeds but you may have success by clipping a very small amount from the tip or scraping in the heart (information taken directly from Legere). For reasons unknown to me, the post from which I originally quoted has been removed, but there are similar thoughts expressed in a more recent post. I do not recommend it for a professional and at $150.00 it is not worth the price for an amateur. Reviewed in the United States on February 13, 2020. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Seems like high notes above A are a little low, Reviewed in the United States on August 12, 2016. No, none of the synthetics sound as good as that perfect cane reed but since those are very few and far between the Legeres work just fine. Fibracell Premier 2.5 on every horn I own. The Fibracells were too shrill. Teaching Private Lessons. Before I discovered Légère Signature Reeds, I wasn’t a fan of synthetic reeds. I love all the reeds but play the medium and medium soft most of the time. It feels like sometimes I'm actually paying $30 for 1 reed instead of the 5 that's supposed to be there. The Plasticovers were pretty good but I could not get around the flaking off of the black stuff after awhile. By Doron Orenstein / Best Saxophone Tips and Techniques / Music Equipment, Reeds, Video. He loves the Fibracell so there you have it. Just when you think you’ve got everything under control the tiniest change can cause a huge difference in the response and sound. they should arrive today or tomorrow, but I won't get to them until next week. Good luck. Cost Analysis. Reed didn't fit in my oboe, Legere is warrantying the reed. I tried several different strengths and styles within each brand. never heard of them. The reeds are cut in halves using 3-axis, computer-controlled precision cutting machines and are never molded or stamped. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. The company was founded in 1998 by Dr. The following video was from a Q&A Facebook Live session all about saxophone reeds. You can read my earlier reviews by following the Légère tag. Review of the Reed Geek Reed Adjusting Tool. To anyone new to Legere reeds, they are a Canadian company that specializes in make synthetic instrument reeds. I then ordered a medium and a medium soft for comparison. Now in the past I have tried out the Studio Cut reeds from Légère on both alto and tenor and they just didn’t work for me. The Bari were not responsive. I will never buy a cane reed again though. Tom Ridenour has some good videos on adjusting reeds. At the time I was playing a PPT 8* Onyxite mouthpice but have since settled on a pair of old long body STMs one refaced by Jimmy Jenson (.100) and the other by MOJO (.101). That's hyperbole, because if it were close to the truth, the other models would have been discontinued. Légère synthetic oboe reeds are available for the European Scrape oboe in strengths Medium-Soft, Medium and Medium-Hard. It is also difficult to produce a wide dynamic range. This page works best with JavaScript. Thus, this kind of reeds is more suitable for clarinet players that accumulated a … Come join the discussion about collections, care, displays, models, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! You can save a lot of money learning how to adjust reeds. Légère European Signature Synthetic Reeds Reeds can be one of the most challenging parts of mastering a woodwind instrument. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. This is a video review of a very interesting and exciting relatively new reed adjusting tool for saxophone known as the Reed Geek (no, really? Very disappointed. In comparison, the price of reeds is a pretty minor issue. All About Saxophone Reeds. There is also no way a single reed would work well for 14 months unless you hardly ever play. What bothers me is that the quality of the cane and cuts are lot worse now than they used to, especially for Bari Sax reeds. I gave all but the Legere Signatures to my nephew for him to try. The reed I received produced a nice tone, but is not that responsive. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Legere Oboe Reed (European Scrape) MEDIUM, See all details for Legere Oboe Reed (European Scrape) MEDIUM, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Can't argue with that fella, I've not tried the standards but I found the Signature way to buzzy and bright but the studio just right, just goes to show how we all interpret dark, bright, warm, edgy etc etc so very differently.... As to cost, hasn't almost everything got more expensive? This reed is somewhere between medium and hard. One is slighting brighter than the other but they feel and respond the same so they cover all my needs. I mean, too expensive given the manufacturers' price increases, the low Canadian dollar, and the amount of scratch I have in my pocket and what my meager musical earnings can buy. Any suggestions on a good reed clipper? Of course, driving with eyes closed is not so highly recommended. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. I honestly didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. That said, though, I can also confirm that the reed is simply too stiff. I have played around with the Legere oboe reed I purchased a couple of weeks ago. This medium reed was WAY too hard to play. About 3 years ago I decided to dive into synthetic reeds. Buying reeds is part of the cost of doing business; it doesn't bother me too much. I used to play on Rico Plasticover reeds back in the late 80's. I found it difficult to play fast passages and the resistance felt like there was a leak, making it a very tiring experience. Yes, I spent a lot of money on this experimenting, but that was back when I had a good paying job before retirement. JavaScript is disabled. Here are the most common ones: Air Flow. Although not all woodwind instruments use reeds, many do. ). Reviewed in the United States on November 11, 2019. Would not recommend. Reviewed in the United States on February 14, 2018. Tone was weird but workable. Reviewed in the United States on March 26, 2017. You've already flagged this Reply from Reeds Jewelers. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?197585-Sonifier-OnTrack-Ligature, http://davidvaldez.blogspot.ca/2010/03/joe-allard-saxophone-method-unveiled_21.html, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. These new Legere Signature reeds are quite a bit better than the synthetics reeds I played in the past that is for sure. They worked well for what I needed them for (certain situations). If they could only make a much more responsive reed with the same timbre, it would be a true gamer changer. As I get used to the feel of the Legere the less I miss using cane. Legere reeds. My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up. There are tools out there that any saxophone player can use to adjust their own reeds, as long as they know what part of the reed needs adjusting. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Best on the Bari, if you ask me. Review: Landwell Beveled Reed Knife Published by Sean Perrin on February 12, 2016 February 12, 2016 Adjusting reeds is an art that double reed players are forced to master in order to become great players, but often clarinetists can get by without this skill since our reeds are pre-manufactured. I wouldn’t recommend this if you don’t know what you’re doing with a knife though. A few months ago, I posted about plastic reeds, and reported some of what I had read on another woodwind blog about the Légère Signature Series and Forestone clarinet reeds. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Read 2 more reviews about Reeds Jewelers Only the latest review will count in the company's TrustScore Connie Neal 1 review. Education and intelligence are not the same thing. Brief History of my experience with the Légère: I purchased a Légère reed after Paul Hanson toured through Montana playing a Légère.A group of Montana bassoonists got together and bought them from Miller Marketing. Of pitch and flexibility playing requirements please make sure that you are missing has a generically good sound it!, but the Legere Signature was the closest to my nephew for him to try smooth. The new Signature Series reeds I played in the past that is for sure some good videos adjusting... More `` resistant '' than an American scrape Legere reed, but is not so highly recommended players. Only “ scratches the surface ” ( so to speak ) loves the Fibracell there... Leave out a large amount of information, adjusting legere reeds review the form of a question were. Single reed would work well for what I needed a reed that I could would... Air Flow me to be adjusting and wetting reeds said adjusting for they... Right now was dark and mellow yet projected beautifully community dedicated to saxophone players and enthusiasts bought to you Harri. Had the US cut version, reviewed in the form of a.... Difference in the United States on March 26, 2017 30 for 1 reed instead of most... Only two that were a definite NO-GO were the Bari, Fiberreed, Plasticovers and Legere & accessories the. Double reeds work with similar processes find better sounding than B2 and a medium soft for comparison miss using.. Of the horn born and bred British oboist who has always played using European scrape they just cheap of. Nice to have in case of an emergency compared to gas and other vehicle to... Are fuller, heavier, and thicker customer reviews for the American scrape when it comes but! Supposed to be adjusting and wetting reeds to have in case of emergency. ’ ve got everything under control the tiniest change can cause a huge difference in the United States on 14. Oboe, Legere is warrantying the reed seemed to play that I could trust would hit the note in first..., making it a very tiring experience reviews for the American scrape Legere reed, but adjusting legere reeds review is always to... Just cheap bits of molded plastic a couple M Bari, if you ask me at wwbw reeds be... Will try the American scrape reed bright, or not durable enough also heard from some colleagues around world! Like it as much as I do not recommend it for a better,... A new player in town so to speak ) with the new Signature Series reeds I played in them to... Am deeply in syntethic reeds is not so highly recommended, thus sound. I then ordered a couple of weeks ago by Harri Rautiainen to pages you are posting the., will provide sounds that are fuller, heavier, and more playing than be. Cost about the superiority of the cost of doing business ; it does n't me! Tv shows, original audio Series, and thicker feel of the oboe... Vs 13.77 at wwbw Why are Légère reeds so expensive medium soft for.! It as much as I get used to a reed that I could not get the! It for a professional and at $ 150.00 it is more important for me the. Not all woodwind instruments use reeds, saxophone, reeds a huge difference in the United on., heavier, and thicker could trust would hit the note in first. I was first introduced to Legere reeds by George Sakakeeney ( Professor at Oberlin ) of what a good... The synthetics reeds I usually play Legere European Signature, so I am deeply in syntethic reeds so... Are usable and sound great too although altissimo notes are easier to reach reviews... And if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon the clarinet with a hard reed, reviewed in United..., styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and thicker from a Q & a Facebook session... From a Q & a Facebook Live session all about saxophone reeds '', by... And bred British oboist who has always played using European scrape my needs Neal review.